Sudents learn about their changing bodies and prepare for independent self-care with these one-page, picture-supported social lessons.
The book has 40 ready-to-use, one-page stories. Customise the stories by adding student-specific information, editing the text, and using a photograph in place of the generic picture in the book. Each sentence in the story is supported by one or more pictures.
The book has instructional and behavioural lessons. The instructional lessons are intended to teach adolescents healthy habits (e.g., Using Deodorant) and what they need to do or say in social situations that are sometimes overwhelming (e.g., What Can I Do About Acne?). Use these instructional lessons as part of a social skills curriculum with small groups. The behavioural lessons target specific social problems that need to be stopped (e.g., Overeating). Use these lessons with an individual. You choose the order in which to present the lessons. Then, document progress with the Record of Progress and tracking forms.
The lessons are organised by these topics:
- Healthy Habits — Eating Slowly, Scabs, Alcoholic Beverages, and more
- Health Care — Other People’s Medicine, The Dentist, The Gynecologist, and more
- Puberty — Developing Breasts, Hair on Legs and Underarms, My Changing Body (Boys), and more
- Grooming — Shampooing Hair, Shower, Wearing Different Clothes, and more
Extra helps include:
- picture index
- behavior tracking forms and examples
- behaviour analysis forms and examples
- progress recording forms and examples
- tracking forms for lessons